Approved Fillers

APPROVED LPG FILLERS   This requirement applies to all compressed gases whether they are hazardous substances such as LPG or non-hazardous gases such as compressed air. You must be an approved filler if you are filling:

  • Industrial gas cylinders;
  • LPG cylinders;
  • Self-contained underwater breathing apparatus (SCUBA);
  • Self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA);
  • Fire extinguishers;
  • Aerosol cylinders;
  • Paintball cylinders;
  • Bulk storage containers.

The types of container that you work with will determine what you need to know to become an approved filler. You must be trained and have the necessary knowledge and skills to fill a container safely. A test certifier will assess you for the purpose of issuing you with an approved filler test certificate.

1. What do I need to know to be an Approved Filler?

The HSNO Act and the Hazardous Substances (Compressed Gases) Regulations 2001 deal with filling compressed gas cylinders and set out the qualifications required of a person to become an approved filler.   An Approved Filler must:

  • be able to demonstrate the procedures for safe filling of compressed gas containers;
  • know about and be able to describe:
  • the different forms of compressed gases, notably, low-pressure liquefiable gas, high-pressure liquefiable gas, permanent gases and gases that may be held at very low temperatures;
  • the factors that can cause failure of a compressed gas container;
  • the consequences of a failure of a container associated with the different forms of compressed gas, including asphyxiation;
  • the need for visual inspection and safe charging of compressed gas into a

The knowledge and skills required to become an approved filler may be acquired in a number of ways. See question 6, “What training is available?”.

2. How do I obtain my approved filler test certificate?

You must engage a test certifier approved by the EPA New Zealand to issue approved filler test certificates. The test certifier will evaluate your qualifications and skills and will need a written application from you that includes:

  • a record of training that you have completed;
  • a record of your practical skills;
  • a description of the method used to assess your knowledge and skills; and the results of that assessment signed by your trainer or work supervisor.

If satisfied that you have met the requirements, the test certifier will issue you with an approved filler test certificate. The certificate will specify the forms and classes of gases and types of containers that you may fill. If you are filling LPG cylinders you may take part in the LPG Association training scheme. In this scheme you can be trained, assessed and issued a test certificate at your workplace by a site trainer who is also test certifier. See “What is the LPG Association Training Scheme?” below. You should keep a copy of your test certificate and store it safely. A HSNO enforcement officer may ask to see it.

3. Validity of the certificate

If your approved filler test certificate is for gases other than LPG, the test certifier will issue you with a test certificate that is valid for five years. The test certificate can be renewed for additional five-year periods. If your certificate is issued through the LPG Association training scheme, the test certificate is valid for one year and can be renewed for additional one-year periods.

4. How do I find a test certifier?

If you are in the lower North Island in an area roughly New Plymouth across to Wairoa and all that area between and down to Wellington, for a five year test certificate, look no further, EnviroHaz has you covered. If outside this area search the test certifier register for those certifiers registered to issue approved filler test certificates. If you intend to fill LPG cylinders, your workplace manager will tell you if the LPG Association training scheme is available.

5. What is the LPG Association training?

The LPG Association training scheme is intended for persons filling LPG cylinders for the public at service stations or at other sites. You can become an approved filler through instruction by a workplace site trainer who is also a test certifier. However, as an LPG Association approved filler, you may only fill cylinders at the site where you have been trained. If your workplace fills exchange LPG cylinders, the workplace may be a participant in the LPG Association training scheme. If the workplace does not participate in the scheme, you should contact a test certifier . Your employer will give you advice about the appropriate level of training you need. If you are an LPG Association site trainer and you fill cylinders, you must hold an approved filler test certificate.

6. What training is available?

A number of organisations provide training for approved fillers:

  • Training providers that deliver industry training organisation (ITO) unit standards;
  • Industry in-house training;
  • The LPG Association;
  • New Zealand

Your employer should help you identify your training needs.

7. SCUBA and SCBA compressed air cylinders

If you fill SCUBA cylinders with air at a dive shop or privately for your own use, you must be an approved filler. Seek advice from New Zealand Underwater. Self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) is used extensively by the Fire Service and in industrial applications. You need to be an approved filler to fill cylinders used in SCBA.

8. Paintball industry

If you are filling paintball cylinders and they are more than 500 millilitres water capacity, you must be an approved filler. If you are using air, carbon dioxide or any other substance you need to know about these substances and how to safely fill the cylinders. Cylinders used for paintball that are less than 500 millilitres water capacity are not required to be filled by an approved filler. However, all cylinders need to be managed with a high degree of caution. See the Guidelines for Paintball Cylinders.

9. Forklift cylinders

LPG cylinders attached to a forklift are considered to be the fuel tank of the forklift. If you fill these cylinders when attached to the forklift, you do not need to be an approved filler. If you remove the cylinders from the forklift to fill them, you must be an approved filler.